Friday, January 1, 2010

6 years ago today.....

I lost the best father a girl could have ever asked for!!

I read this at my dad's funeral (1/4/04)... (I have been thinking for awhile now what I would write today on the 6th anniversary, but figured I would just type out the letter I wrote to my dad on the day of his funeral):

To the best man I will ever know-
Words can't describe how much you mean to me. You have inspired me in so many ways, probably in more ways then you ever dreamed. You are more than I could have ever asked for in a father. You gave me strength, love and hope every step of the way, but more importantly you always kept me in line. I don't think there was one night that you didn't call me at 12:01am wondering why I wasn't home yet. You are the most wonderful, caring father a girl could ever ask for. You have always told me to do everything I did with all my heart, and to never give less then 110%. The advice that you have given me throughout the years will carry me through all aspects of my life. (Even when you didn't think I was listening, I was!!) Dad, you mean the world to me. Everytime I was down I knew I could call you and you would always make me smile, even when I had the worst basketball game of my life you always brought out the positive side of things. The one thing I will miss the most is your home cooked meals, but don't worry mom and I know how to drive thru!:)
You've also shown me the true meaning of what friendships are all about. You are the luckiest man to have the friends like you do. Today in this room with you are your buddies that you've known for 30 years. I still remember all the golf weekends you had with the guys. You'd come home and talk about what a great time you had, even if you did lose!
Some of my fondest memories with you are all of our Griswald vacations we took. It seemed like everytime we went somewhere the most bazaar things would happen to us. I will never forget our trip to Florida, when we went on a "sunset" cruise where mom fell off the dock, when we went searching for dolphins, but never actually saw anything, we went snorkeling in mud, and then drove back home through a hurricane. All I have to say is National Lampoon has nothing on us.
But on a serious note dad, I love you more than anything on earth. You are my inspiration and hero. After all you are my dad and there is no one in this world that could ever replace you. Even when we had very litte, you gave so much. You are the greatest man I will ever know! We will miss you Big'un. And don't worry about mom and Will, I will be sure to take care of them for you!
PS: It says a a lot about a man who works out on the morning of New Year's day, while everyone else is still recovering from the night before.

Love Always,
Sis

As the years pass it gets easier, but it's something I will never forget! It's hard to believe that it's been 6 years... so much has happened since then that I wish he was here to see, but I know he sees it all everyday:)

1 comment:

B.E.A.L. said...

oh wow....this totally brought tears to my eyes and a lump in my throat! I am so sorry for your loss, but he sounds like he was an awesome man! Kaylie and Parker will love hearing stories of him just as much as you will love telling them.

That was a beautiful letter!